The Salyer House was built in the last quarter of the 18th century. It was the home of Michael &Elizabeth Salyer and their four daughters, Elizabeth, Mary, Sara and Rachel. Daughter Mary Salyer inherited the house in 1810 on a 9.20 acre lot. Mary and her husband David Bogert kept the property until 1825. After this the house changed hands over a dozen times. Families that owned the house included the DeClarks, Blauvelts and Hoppers. In 1966, the house was bought by the Spring Valley Water Company, (United Water). Families who worked for the Company lived in the house until it was donated to the Town of Orangetown in September of 1992 to be used as a museum for the town. Many volunteers worked on restoring the interior and exterior of the house, which opened as a museum with its first exhibit in October 1996. The Salyer House underwent substantive renovations in the summer/fall of 2007 gaining a new roof and French drain system. In 2003 the Salyer House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register is the nation's official list of properties worthy of preservation. Listing on the National Registry recognizes the importance of the Salyer House to the history of our country and affords it a measure of protection.