The Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives was founded in 1992 in order to acquire, preserve and exhibit objects which reflect primarily the history of the Town of Orangetown. The Museum's additional but not lesser mission is to document, research, promote and publicize the rich historical heritage of the town for the people of Orangetown.
The Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives is administered by the
Town of Orangetown, Rockland County
Supervisor Teresa Kenny,
Council persons, Paul Valentine, Jerry Bottari, Dennis Troy & Thomas Diviny
Museum Director: Mary Cardenas
Curator for exhibitions: Elizabeth Skrabonja
Curator for Collections: Emily Hingle
Buildings Manager: Steve Schwinn
The museum is housed in two distinct buildings bearing Dutch sandstone features indicative of the area. The historic SALYER HOUSE at 213 Blue Hill Road in Pearl River, New York is the Museum's first home and since 2003 has been listed on the register of Historic Places.
The Salyer House
213 Blue Hill Road
Pearl River, NY 10965
Office: (845) 398-1302
The Salyer House was built in the last quarter of the 18th century. It was the home of Michael &Elizabeth Salyer and their four daughters, Elizabeth, Mary, Sara and Rachel. Daughter Mary Salyer inherited the house in 1810 on a 9.20 acre lot. Mary and her husband David Bogert kept the property until 1825. After this the house changed hands over a dozen times. Families that owned the house included the DeClarks, Blauvelts and Hoppers. In 1966, the house was bought by the Spring Valley Water Company, (United Water). Families who worked for the Company lived in the house until it was donated to the Town of Orangetown in September of 1992 to be used as a museum for the town. Many volunteers worked on restoring the interior and exterior of the house, which opened as a museum with its first exhibit in October 1996. The Salyer House underwent substantive renovations in the summer/fall of 2007 gaining a new roof and French drain system. In 2003 the Salyer House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register is the nation's official list of properties worthy of preservation. Listing on the National Registry recognizes the importance of the Salyer House to the history of our country and affords it a measure of protection.
The DePew House
196 Chief Bill Harris Way
Orangeburg, NY 10962
Probably constructed around the time of the Revolutionary War by Isaac DePew, the house is a sandstone and frame homestead that was maintained by the original family until 1881. After this time it was owned by the Blauvelt and Morrell families and by 1929 the homestead and farm was purchased by the State of New York as part of the Rockland Psychiatric Hospital's 638 acre facility. It was acquired by the Town of Orangetown and in 2004 the Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives began renovation. It is a typical Dutch sandstone house with a gambrel roof; the clapboard addition in the 1930's serves the museum with extra exhibition space .A wheelchair access ramp extends an invitation to all visitors. This building also houses the museum's administrative offices and a substantive portion of the archives. The DePew House officially opened in 2007 with the exhibit Who Was Here.